By Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,
Selected by way of selection as a 2012 awesome educational Title
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A significant other to ladies within the historic World provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of newly-commissioned essays from in demand students at the examine of girls within the old world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of readings to deal with the learn of ladies within the old world
- Explores a extensive diversity of themes on the subject of girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess conception; girls in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the relatives, the nation, and faith; gown and Adornment; girl Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial girls; ladies in past due Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and plenty of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of ancient subject matters of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known proof and preconceived notions with regards to ladies in antiquity
- Includes contributions from a number of the such a lot admired students linked to the research of girls in antiquity
Read Online or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World PDF
Similar ancient & classical books
"A cupboard of Roman Curiousities" is subtitled "Strange stories and superb evidence from the World's maximum Empire. " i presumed it sounded fascinating and will be a enjoyable learn. it truly is truly lovely fascinating, yet it is not that enjoyable. it is essentially a word list of Roman proof prepared byt subject (family, meals, the military, and so on.
Reconstructing culture explores the devotional Hindu Krishnaite revival of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries and its patience into smooth instances via an exam of 1 of its primary figures, Advaita Acarya. He was once the topic of a number of texts, and Manring considers them all by way of altering ancient, social, and sectarian contexts.
Referred to as "the most sensible poem through the simplest poet," Virgil's Aeneid could be the main well-known paintings in Latin literature. It tells the tale of Rome's founding by means of the Trojan prince Aeneas after decades of trip, and it comprises some of the most famed tales concerning the Trojan warfare. It additionally unearths a lot of what the Romans felt and believed approximately themselves- the delicate reader will see that those comparable values and matters frequently difficulty us this present day.
Regardless of the rousing tales of male heroism in battles, the Trojan conflict transcended the actions of its human individuals. For Homer, it used to be the gods who performed and accounted for what occurred. within the first a part of this e-book, the authors locate in Homer’s Iliad fabric for exploring the standard lifetime of the Greek gods: what their our bodies have been made from and the way they have been nourished, the association in their society, and this sort of lifestyles they led either in Olympus and within the human global.
- Eduard Zeller: Philosophie- und Wissenschaftsgeschichte im 19. Jahrhundert (Philosophie- Und Wissenschaftsgeschichte Im - Jahrhunders)
- Chinese Poetry in Times of Mind, Mayhem and Money
- Dionysius of Halicarnassus: Roman Antiquities, Volume VII, Book 11, Fragments of Books 12-20 (Loeb Classical Library No. 388)
Additional resources for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World
4 Aphrodite receiving the golden apple from Paris, ivory pyxis. Baltimore, The Walters Art Museum, inv. no. 71–64. Photo: Walters Art Museum. 5 Ivory plaque of Adam and Eve at the forge, Byzantine eleventh–twelfth century CE. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917; inv. no. 139. Photo: © The Metropolitan Museum of Art/Art Resource, NY. Notes on Contributors Lindsay Allason-Jones was Director of the Centre for Interdisciplinary Artefact Studies and Reader in Roman Material Culture at Newcastle University until she retired in 2011.
Eve D'Ambra is the Agnes Rindge Claflin Professor of Art History at Vassar College, where she teaches Greek and Roman art and archaeology. She has published Roman Art (1998) and Roman Women (2007) as well as articles on the commemorative art of Roman citizens of the lower social orders. Her current research focuses on the sculpted portraits of Roman women and beauty. Marguerite Deslauriers is Associate Professor in the Department of Philosophy and Director of the Institute for Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies at McGill University.
1907. Aegyptische Urkunden aus den Königlichen Museen in Berlin: Griechische Urkunden, Sonderheft. Elephantine-Papyri. Berlin. P. , and Meyer, P. M. ) 1910. Griechische Papyri im Museum des Oberhessischen Geschichtsvereins zu Giessen. Pt. I, nos. 1–35. Leipzig and Berlin. P. Münch. , and Shelton, J. C. ) 1986. Griechische Urkundenpapyri der Bayerischen Staatsbibliothek München, vol. 3, Part I. Stuttgart. P. Oxy. Oxyrhynchus Papyrus. 1898–. P. Tebtunis Grenfell, B. , Hunt, A. , and Smyly, J. G.